January 10, 2015

Postscript: Lan Cao

Initially I became interested in Kinh and Lan’s story when he alluded to the 13 years of separation they had endured at the beginning of their romance. So, when I arrived to conduct the interview I was surprised that Lan didn’t join us. She continued working throughout our conversation. I regretted not including her in my post but I figured she just wasn’t interested. After talking to her yesterday I realize she probably wanted to join us but the pressures of supporting her family make taking a break impossible. “We work in shifts. I work until 1 in the morning and then I sleep while my husband works. I only get maybe 2 or 3 hours of sleep each night.” But she’s quick to add that she makes this sacrifice for her daughter, who holds both her hopes and expectations. 

“Jennifer is always saying you should improve your English, learn this and study that but I tell her, ‘everything we do is for you.’” Although Lan would love to go back to school, it’s hard for her to imagine when she would have the time. When she’s not working, she is taking care of her 80-year-old mother and supporting her sister whose husband is ill. But while her own education is on hold, Lan places the utmost importance on Jennifer’s schooling. “We send her to a private school. People say ‘why are you spending money on her education—it’s so expensive.’ But no, we hope for everything for Jennifer.”


I could tell she was anxious to get back to work but before I left I asked her how she makes her pho. “Make pho?!” she laughed incredulously. “That is a very long process, maybe 10 hours. No, I don't have time for that now."    

No comments:

Post a Comment